Pregnancy is a special period in your life. Pregnancy lasts between 9 and 10 months and to enable your midwife or doctor take care of you, this period is divided into three sets of months. The first three months is known as the first trimester, the next three months following is the second trimester while the last three months is known as the third trimester.
Pregnancy Progress: the nine months of change
FIRST TRIMESTER (1-12 WEEKS)
- Your breast become bigger and tingly
- You may urinate more frequently.
- You may have saliva in your mouth more often.
- You may feel like vomiting.
- You may like or dislike certain foods.
- You may feel tired easily and sometimes feel faint.
SECOND TRIMESTER (13-26 WEEKS)
- You may have more appetite/will gain weight.
- Your tummy begins to show.
- You may have slight pain in your lower abdomen.
- A dark line will appear in the middle of your tummy.
- You will feel your baby more after five months (kicking).
- Digestion will slow down with some constipation and heartburn.
THIRD TRIMESTER (27-40 WEEKS)
- You can feel your baby stronger.
- You can feel more tightening of your abdomen with slight pain.
- Your breast becomes heavier and contains slightly yellow fluid.
- You may have shortness of breath as abdomen gets bigger.
- You may feel more tired/have sleeping difficulty.
- You may gain more weight.
- In the last week, the head of the baby descends into the pelvis (lightening).
Source; the ministry of health/Ghana health service, reproductive and child health department.